Mirabai Chanu is an Indian Weightlifter. Mirabai Chanu won Silver Medal at Tokyo Olympics in 49 Kg Women’s Category on 24 July 2021. And thereby bringing India its First Medal in the Event.
From lifting firewood as a kid to India’s one of Biggest weightlifting Star, weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu’s story is one of a remarkable rise. Saikhom Mirabai Chanu, the girl from the East Imphal district of Manipur created history after winning Silver Medal in Weighlifting at Tokyo Olympics 2021.
Chanu has won the World Championships and multiple medals at the Commonwealth Games. She was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India for her contributions to the sport. She was awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award by the Government of India in 2018.
Who is Mirabai Chanu?
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu was born on 8 August 1994. She is only 27 Years old and created History after winning Silver Medal in Weightlifting at Tokyo Olympics. Mirabai started her career by lifting firewood in her childhood to a Great Weighlifetr.
Mirabai Chanu Wiki
|Full Name||Saikhom Mirabai Chanu|
|Event||49 Kg Women’s|
|Coached by||Vijay Sharma|
|Birthday (DOB)||8 August 1994|
|Age||27 Years (as in 2021)|
|Birth Place||Nongpok Kakching, Imphal East, Manipur, India|
|Star Sign/ Zodiac Sign||Leo|
|Net Worth||$8 Million – $10 Million|
|Last Updated||July 2021|
Mirabai Chanu Early Life
Mirabai Chanu was born on 8 August 1994 in Nongpok Kakching, Imphal, Manipur, to a Meitei family. Mirabai in her childhood lifts firewood and she identified her strength when she was only 12 years old.
Mirabai Chanu Career
Mirabai Chanu first demonstrated her potential on the International Stage when was only 20 Years old and she won the Silver Medal in the 48 Kg Category in 2014 in Glasgow, Scotland. He family identified her strength when she was just 12, she could easily carry a huge bundle of firewood to her home Mirabai’s elder brother found it hard to even pick up. Mirabai began her International career by competing in World and Asian Junior Championship, Where she won medals in both.
In 2016, Mirabai Chanu successfully qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics in the Women’s 48 Kg Category. However, she failed to finish the event.
In 2017, Channu won the Gold medal by lifting a competition record 194 kg in total (85 kg snatch and 109 kg clean & jerk) in the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships held at Anaheim, CA, United States.
In 2019, She won Bronze Medal in Clean & Jerk at 49 kg weight Category in the 2019 Asian Weightlifting Championship. Mirabai lifted a total of 201 Kg (87kgs Snatch and 114kgs Clean & Jerk) to finish 4th at the 2019 World Weightlifting Championship. By lifting 201 Kg Mirabai created a National Record in the 49 Kg Category. After four months later she broke her personal record after lifting 203 Kg (88kgs in Snatch and 115kg in Clean & Jerk,) in the 49kg category to win the gold medal at the 2020 Senior National Weightlifting Championships.
Mirabai Chanu won Silver Medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Chanu becoming the 1st Indian weightlifter to win silver in the Olympics, winning a silver medal in 49kg weightlifting with a total lift of 202 kg. Chanu becomes the second Indian weightlifter after Karnam Malleswari to win an Olympic Medal. A new Olympic record was registered by Mirabai Chanu with a successful lift of 115kg in clean and jerk.
She was awarded USD $1,400,000 from a private donor in India for successfully winning an Olympic medal.
Mirabai Chanu Family
|Father||Saikhom Kriti Meitei (an employee at the Public Works Department)|
|Mother||Saikohm Ongbi Tombi Leima (Shopkeeper)|
|Siblings||Brother– Saikhom Sanatomba Meitei|
Sister(s)– Saikom Rangita, Saikhom Shaya
Note: She has 5 siblings.
|Last Updated||July 2021|
Mirabai Chanu Height, Weight & Physical Stats
|Height||in centimeters- 150 cm|
in meters- 1.50 m
in feet & inches- 4’ 11”
|Weight||48 Kg – in Kilograms|
106 lbs – in Pounds
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown|
Mirabai Chanu Net Worth 2021
Weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Total Net Worth $150k According to 2021 Reports This is from Olympics and Brands. It earns through a lot of brand endorsement and sponsorship and salary. The Government of India gives them an estimated ₹45,000-₹60,000 every month. Chanu is the ambassador of the Adidas shoe brand and it charges as a contract Adidas gives them ₹25 lakhs every year as a contract. After becoming a winner in every Olympics, he is given a prize of about ₹50 lakh – ₹1 crore along with the awards.
The Indian government has given $70,000 (₹50 lakh Indian Rupees) to Mirabai Chanu for winning the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
The Manipur Government has given him $140,000 (₹1 crore Indian Rupees) in the joy of victory.
|Net Worth (2021)||$150K *Approx|
|Net Worth (INR) As of 2021||₹1.1 Crores In INR|
|Monthly Income||₹60,000 Lakhs|
|Yearly Income||₹35 Lakh *Approx|
|Money Factor||Weightlifting, Brands, Salary|
Mirabai Chanu Achievements & Awards
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, highest sporting honour of India (2018).
- Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award of India (2018).
- ₹20 lakh (US$28,000) from the Government of Manipur for the gold medal in the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships.
- ₹10 lakh (US$14,000) from the Government of Manipur for qualifying for the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
For winning the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics
- ₹50 lakh (US$70,000) from the Government of India.
- ₹1 crore (US$140,000) from the Government of Manipur.
Interesting Facts about Mirabai
- Mirabai Chanu was born and brought up in Manipur, India. She is the sixth and the youngest child in her family.
- Her ideal is Kunjarani Devi. In an interview, she told that
“When I was a kid, I first saw Kunjarani Devi, the sport looked so appealing, I was baffled at how she was lifting such heavyweights. So I told my parents that I wanted to do this, with much reluctance they agreed. In our state, you can compare Kunjarani to weightlifting and Sania Mirza is to tennis. Every Manipuri girl wanted to be like her. I saw Kunjarani Devi’s performance at the 2004 Olympics and dreamt of podium glory.”
- She started weightlifting in 2008 at Khuman Lampak Sports Complex in Imphal, India. During her childhood days, there was no weightlifting centre in her village. So, for her training, she had to travel 44 km daily.
- She won the first ever competitive gold medal of her career at the age of 11 in a local weightlifting contest.
- In 2013, she participated at the Junior National Championship in Guwahati, India. There, she was awarded the Best Lifter Award.
- In 2014, she represented India at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow (a city in Scotland). Here, she clinched a Silver Medal in the women’s 48 kg category by lifting a total of 170 kg.
- On 31 August 2015, she was appointed as a Senior Ticket Collector in the Indian Railway.
- In 2016, she qualified for the Rio Olympics in women’s 48 kg category. Unfortunately, she didn’t finish her event and failed in winning any medal. In an interview, she said that
“I was really low after the Olympics. It took me a lot of time to get over the disappointment. I even thought of giving up the sport and stop training. The comments in social media, the criticism against my coach really hurt me.”
- Then, she represented India at the 2018 Commonwealth Games and won India’s first Gold Medal in weightlifting on 5 April in the women’s 48 kg category. She lifted 196 kg total weight (86 kg in Snatch and 110 kg in Clean & Jerk). By lifting 196 kg weight, she smashed the previous weightlifting record which was 175 kg set by Augustine Nwaokolo of Nigeria in 2010.
- On 25 September 2018, she was conferred with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in Sports and Games; which is the highest sporting honour of the Republic of India by President Ram Nath Kovind at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
FAQs About Mirabai Chanu
Q: What is the Age of Mirabai Chanu?
Ans- Mirabai Chanu was born on 08 August 1994. As of 2021, her age is 27 Years.
Q: Mirabai Chanu belong to which state?
Ans- Imphal, Manipur
Q; Who is Father of Mirabai Chanu?
Ans- Mirabai Chanu father name is Saikhom Kriti Meitei (an employee at the Public Works Department).