Mariyappan Thangavelu – Indian Athlete
Mariyappan Thangavelu is an Indian Para Athlete competing in the Higher Jump T42 event. Mariyappan bagged a Gold medal in 2016 Summer Paralympics in Brazil. He is India’s first Paralympian gold medalist since 2004. On 25 January 2017, Government of India declared “Padma Shri” award for his contribution towards his game.
Mariyappan Thangavelu is one of four children (two brothers and a sister). His father reportedly left the family early on, and his mother, Saroja, supported her children by carrying bricks as a labourer. Later she becomes a vegetable seller and earning ₹100 a day.
At the age of five, Mariyappan suffered permanent disability in his right leg when he was run over by a drunk bus driver while walking to school; the bus crushed his leg below the knee, causing it to become stunted. Despite this setback, he completed secondary schooling; he says he “didn’t see myself as different from able-bodied kids.“
Mariyappan Thangavelu Wiki
|Full Name||Mariyappan Thangavelu|
|Profession||Indian Para Athlete|
|Events||High Jump T42|
|Personal Best||1.89 m|
|Disability||bus crushed his leg below the knee|
|Birthday (DOB)||28 June 1995|
|Age||26 Years (as in 2021)|
|Birth Place||Periavadagampatti, Salem district, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Hometown||Tamil Nadu, India|
|Star Sign/ Zodiac Sign||Cancer|
|Hobbies||Practice, Gym, Traveling|
|Education Qualifications||Business Administration|
|College||AVS College of Arts And Science, Ramalingapuram, Tamil Nadu|
|Last Updated||August 2021|
Mariyappan Thangavelu Early Life
Mariyappan Thangavelu was born on 28 June 1995 in Periavadagampatti, Salem district, Tamil Nadu, India. He was born in a poor family. His father abandoned the family when Mariyappan was a small kid. His mother, Saroj, singlehandedly raised him and his three siblings. Mariyappan has two younger brothers – Kumar and Gopi and one elder sister – Sudha. Saroj used to work as a laborer to make ends meet. Her daily wages used to be around 100 rupees. With age and because of all the manual work, she switched to selling vegetables.
- Rohit Gulia Biography| Pro Kabaddi League 2021| Salary PKL 2021
- Nitin Tomar Biography| Pro Kabaddi League 2021| Salary PKL 2021
- Deepak Niwas Hooda Biography| Pro Kabaddi League 2021| Salary
Mariyappan Thangavelu Career
Mariyappan Thangavelu Tragic Accident
Life took an unexpected twist when Mariyappan was just five years old. He was walking to his school when he was run over by a drunken bus driver. Saroj took a loan of three lakh rupees for Mariyappan’s treatment. Unfortunately, he was left with stunted growth and permanent disability. The family was paying off the loan for years after that.
“I was told the driver was inebriated…It doesn’t matter. My right leg is now stunted — it is still a five-year-old’s leg; it has never grown or healed,” he told The Hindu.
Read also: Bajrang Punia Net Worth, Prizes, Salary, Coach, Wife
Mariyappan Thangavelu Family
|Siblings||Brother(s)- Kumar and Gopi|
|Last Updated||August 2021|
Mariyappan Thangavelu Height & Physical Appearances
|Height||in feet & inches – 5 ft 6 in|
in centimeters – 168 cm
in meters – 1.68 m
|Weight||in Kilograms – 60 Kg|
in Pounds – 132 lbs
|Body Measurements||– Chest: 38 Inches|
– Waist: 30 Inches
– Biceps: 11 Inches
Mariyappan Thangavelu Net Worth
Mariyappan Thangavelu estimated Net Worth, Salary, Income, Cars, Lifestyles & many more details have been updated below. Let’s check, How Rich is Mariyappan Thangavelu.
|Net Worth||Approx. $1 – $5 Million|
|Salary||Not Confirmed Yet|
According to Wikipedia, Forbes, IMDb & Various Online resources, famous Athlete Mariyappan Thangavelu’s net worth is $1-5 Million at the age of 24 years old. He earned the money being a Professional Athlete. He is from India.
- Aditi Ashok(Indian Golfer) Biography| World Rankings| Tokyo Olympics| Net Worth| Income| Age| Height| Wiki & More
- Arjun Deshwal Biography| Age| Net Worth| Wife| Height| Salary| Coach| Auction & More
- Avani Lekhara Biography| Success Story| Disability| Net Worth| Medals| Age| Height| Paralympics & more
Mariyappan Thangavelu Awards, Prizes after Winning Gold Medal in Rio Paralympics 2016
- Padma Shri (2017) – fourth highest Indian national honour
- Arjuna Award (2017) – second highest Indian sporting honour, including a cash award of ₹5 lakh (US$7,000)
- ₹2 crore (US$280,000) from the Government of Tamil Nadu
- ₹75 lakh (US$110,000) from the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
- ₹50 lakh (US$70,000) from the Government of Madhya Pradesh
- ₹30 lakh (US$42,000) from the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- ₹15 lakh (US$21,000) from fund established by Sachin Tendulkar, various corporations.
- ₹10 lakh (US$14,000) from Yash Raj Films
- ₹10 lakh (US$14,000) from the Delhi Golf Club
- ₹5 lakh (US$7,000) from NRI businessman Mukkattu Sebastian
- Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna (2020) – highest sporting honour of India.
Mariyappan Thangavelu Social Media
Facebook – Visit Now
Twitter – Visit Now
FAQs About Mariyappan Thangavelu
|Q: When did Mariyappan Thangavelu was born?|
|A: Mariyappan Thangavelu was born on 28 June 1995.|
|Q: What is the age of Mariyappan Thangavelu?|
|A: As of 2021, Mariyappan is 26 Year Old.|
|Q: Disability of Mariyappan Thangavelu?|